Monday, May 20, 2013

Same Earth, Different World

Coming to Germany I did not know what to expect. I wasn't sure if society would be similar to the United States or if anything anyone had told me to expect was going to be accurate. The biggest disappointment, I have found when traveling, is not keeping an open mind. Since I am traveling with fellow students from UF, there is a diverse set of interests and a varied group of personalities, so I find it important to experience it all.
    
We started the trip with a Fat Tire bike tour of the city of Berlin, which of course was kept interesting with the fact that I have not ridden a bike in quite some time and still had to master the art of taking photos while riding. The tour was great; between the sights to see, our awesome tour guide, and even the freezing cold rain that made us realize that German weather doesn't kid around, I found our adventure enjoyable.

As one of my friends on the trip stated upon return from the tour, "well that was fun...I didn't know arctic swimming was included in this tour." Regardless, I really took a liking to the bikes, which were called cruisers, and decided that I am investing in one upon my return to the US.

Yesterday we went on a walking tour of the city and got to see other sights that we did not see on the bike tour. It certainly was easier to take photographs while walking than it was to do so while biking.

These tours have made me realize how different Germany is from the US. Here, people casually walk by on the streets holding a bottle of wine in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other and don't have to worry about open container laws or (as long as you look old enough) getting ID'ed. Also, people are just expected to do the right thing, and people generally do. Paying .50 euros to use the bathroom, however, was not my forte.

I feel that the way German society operates, with everyone relatively trusting each other to follow the rules, is why the laws here are different and in most cases, less strict. As opposed to Germany, you would not even be able to come near alcohol, let alone have it on the streets while walking the daily commute, without a proper ID. People are certainly not trusted to behave and do the right thing back in the US, which is rather an accurate feeling since many people indeed do not follow the rules.

It interests me to see the difference between these two countries. They share the same planet, and are only a mere few thousand miles apart, but yet have such different characteristics. It makes me ponder whether it be due to history, or the way the laws were established from the beginning, or simply the variation in attitudes of the different cultures.

Nonetheless, I think we will be easily identified as "the Americans" here in Berlin for quite some time, and will for a while longer have to give a confused gaze when being spoken to in German. But for now, however, I don't think it will be too difficult to fall in love with this country to prevent me from getting too homesick.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment